Sunday 18 August 2013

18th August 2013 Half way through :-)

So on wednesday I finished my course of fec treatment.  Now I have finished it I will say there proper names.

Florouracil
Epirubacin
Cyclophosphamid

As a friend said to me...FEC off Clive.  I laughed.

Those terms are lost with me!  All I know is that they are put in my veins and they know exactly what to do and where to go! (well hopefully anyway).

So now I have finished that course I will start my next treatment.  A new drug or two I should say.  One is a wonder drug specially for my type of cancer.
Her2 is quite an aggressive form and it basically means that it tests positive for a protein called human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 which promotes the growth of cancer cells.

Lost?  Yeah me too.  I really wish I understood it more but I am not a doctor and so I am leaving the decision making to them.  They are my gods.  I can pray to him, the big guy upstairs but the ones down here are the real geniuses.


It is more agressive and less receptive to hormone treatment, well apart from this wonder drug.  Herceptin.  My doctor said to me that having this type of cancer is a good thing because this drug is so good.  I will agree to disagree I think!


That will take a total of six hours to be placed into my body.  It actually only takes around an hour and a half but they need to make sure I do not get any weird side effects from it.  I am having an ECG too to make sure my heart is healthy.  Please god let that be ok.

Then the following day I will be put on taxol.  This is a stronger drug that will have different side effects to what I have experienced so far.  A lot less sickness and more of a constant feeling of being hit by a large truck.  Oh good, what is worse I hear you say?  I have no idea yet.  Lets just wait and see.  So far I have just about managed, only god knows how because I have no idea where my energy is coming from!  It will also apparently strip me of my eyebrows and lashes.  My brows I can handle, as they are tattooed but my lashes.  My beautiful long lashes that I have taken for granted are going to drop out and leave me with bald eyes!  I may not look so glam after this treatment.

Annoyingly I am still shaving my legs!  I mean come on, give me some sort of break!!

So today is Sunday and usually by now I am feeling much better.  I knew last time I wrote I was jumping the gun a bit!  My bad.  I have felt better lets put it that way.  My sleeping pattern is all over the place.  I literally want to sit in the bath and go to bed.  Although once in bed I need to get up.  Again I am up and down, not knowing how I am really feeling.  One minute my sickness has gone and the next I am gaging trying to trick my body into being sick.  Sometimes this works, other times I just look like an insane person!!  Its not a great look.

Today however I have caked my makeup on, placed my headscarf on and I am off out for my brother in laws birthday.  Something fun and easy, hopefully I will not need a quick kip.  You know me, sleep is always on the cards.  Maybe a couple of glasses of Prosecco will do the trick.  Anything is better than water right now.  Water is tasting like the devil.  No taste, it is just bland and boring.  I went to the gym today and I literally was so thirsty I had to hold my nose to drink it.  Sparkling water I can handle.  Maybe bubbles in general are a good way to clear side effects although the doctors would not ever say that.  I am saying it for them.  Alcohol is a winner.

I am feeling up beat in general though.  Knowing that I am half way through is a massive bonus and it means that the end goal is in my sights.  I am not so worried about the operation and the radiotherapy, it was mainly the chemo that was worrying me.  And if I can get through this I can literally get through anything.  I am already dreaming of the day the doctor tells me I am in the clear.  I woke up the other morning crying with happiness, and with a bottle of champers in one hand!  I may be a slight lush, but don't say anything.

Our charity has been a huge success and us girls are so proud of the awareness we have created in such a short space of time.  My goal is now focusing on our first charity event which will be the event of the year.  Yes I can say that because it will be.  My friends and I are working so hard on it that I know it will be amazing.

So as from today I have nothing more to report.  Still feel ill but I will get over this.  My hair is growing which is great and soon I will be able to remove my head scarf, well once my bald patch by my left ear starts to grow.  It seems to be taking its time and this is driving me slightly mad.  Once chemo is over I will embrace the look and rock Jessie J.  She pulls it off so well!!

Enjoy the day people and a quick thank you to those reading this.  All your energy and positivity is what keeps me going.  I can't possibly be doing this all on my own!  I will need a massive holiday and a massive sleep when this is all over.

Bye for now
xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment

}, 10);